Books

"Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counsellors, and the most patient of teachers."



-Charles W. Eliot (1834-1926)



Saturday, April 9, 2011

Harry Potter... What I HAD to say about it.


Let me say, I wasn't always the biggest fan of Harry Potter. I thought it was a stupid fad that would blow over. But, after spawning 8 movies, including the upcoming Deathly Hallows: Part 2, and 7 books, I decided that I had to try them.

And I was pleasantly surprised. I read the first four books in a matter of weeks, and became an instant Harry Potter nerd.

For the first book, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer Stone, the plot is simple, and the writing plain, but I have to say that you have to cut JK Rowling some slack: she was a hobo. What did you expect from her as a first novel? Shakespeare? Anyways, I would give it a 4 out of 5 stars.

The next book, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, improved greatly. It was much more exciting than the first, and better written. I give it a 4.5 out of 5 stars.

Then, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of the Azkaban took a turn for the creepy. I feel this was much needed if the series was supposed to go far. I was less "I'm a wizard" but more "I'm a demon who creates fear when I'm near." I give it a 5 out of 5, and thanks for adding some scare Rowling.

Sadly, I haven't gotten to reading past the fourth book. And, I do have to say that Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire was my favorite. It had a much more complex story line and was written incredibly. I rate the fifth a 5 out of 5 stars. I cannot wait for the time when I can read the fifth book!

No comments:

Post a Comment